Friday, June 13, 2014

Wesley's Birth Story

Guess whose not pregnant anymore?! 
This girl!! 

      Before I get to the birth story...I just have to say that second babies do not come earlier!!! LOL I can't tell you how many times I was told I would have Wesley early because second babies don't go late.  LIES.  My advice, don't listen to anyone because every baby and every pregnancy is different.  Yes it was a total tease having my first be born on time on his due date and my second be late but that is just how it is!  I want to say kudos to all women who go past their "due dates".  That last week was so hard...mentally.  All you think about is labor and the baby and when is it going to happen....

:: Wesley's Birth Story ::

So my due date, May 31st came and went.  

Tuesday, June 3 I had my doctor appointment at 40 weeks 3 days.  I was still only 1 cm and 50% effaced, cervix soft but very posterior and high.  Zero signs of labor, no contractions, nothing.  

Thursday, June 5 I had a non-stress test (NST) and biophysical profile/ultrasound.  Again, no signs of labor and not even one contraction registered during the NST.  It was very cool to see Wesley on the ultrasound at 41 weeks old.  He was estimated to be 8 lbs 12 oz.   He passed both tests with flying colors, a perfect 10/10.  

Friday, June 6 another doctor appointment.  Still only 1 cm and 50% effaced, cervix very soft but still posterior and high.  No signs of labor or contractions.  However, I dropped 2.5 lbs since my apt. on the 3rd.  Losing weight can be an early labor sign (in my case it was).  My Dr. said that we were at a crossroads and that it was up to me on what I wanted to do.  He told me that I could go to the hospital  that night and get induced but chances of a c-section were 60% or since Wesley aced the NST and ultrasound that I could wait and give my body more time and be induced Monday, June 9 at night.  I picked being induced ASAP.  I was SO ready with being a week late and all.  My Dr. called L&D and I was scheduled to go in to be induced at 8pm that night.  

Friday, June 6th at 5pm all of a sudden I noticed that my belly was tightening every 7-8 minutes.  I had forgotten what contractions felt like in the very beginning.  I got really excited but didn't want to jinx it so I said nothing.  L&D called me at 7pm and said that all the beds were full and to come in at 6 am tomorrow morning.  I said perfect because I think I am in early labor anyway!  I went for a long hour walk and packed my hospital bags and enjoyed a yummy pasta dinner with my mom, Chris, and Kaden.  Contractions became more noticeable throughout the night and early morning and were getting to be about 5 min apart.  I was just so relieved that my body was doing this naturally and talk about timing. lol 

Saturday, June 7th we headed to L&D and got admitted at 6 am.  At 7:30 am, the nurse checked me and nothing.  No change, I was only 1.5 cm and 50% effaced, cervix soft but posterior....despite all those contractions over the past 12 hours.  UGH!  The nurse started induction at 8 am and gave me Cervidil.  Cervidil does not bring on labor or start contractions, it is used to simply soften the cervix and it can take 12 hours and sometimes a second dose to even do anything.   I sat on a birthing ball and played card games with Chris.

At 1pm the nurse checked me because my contractions were starting to get stronger and I was having to do breathing exercises and change positions to get through some of the contractions.  She checked me, it was painful.  I only progressed to 2 cm....60% effaced still very high and posterior.  I was so discouraged.  My labor with kaden was 24 hrs of early labor and 30 hours of active labor....so I was terrified this would be the same....a long painful tiring road.   

At 4:30 the nurse came in and asked if I wanted to be checked and I said no, I was planning on just waiting to be checked at 8pm when the Cervidil had to be removed.  My nurse left and all of a sudden  I was having the most painful contractions ever.  No positions relieved the pain and I had to breath really hard to get through them.  Something felt different, I knew these contractions had to be the real deal and that I had to be in active labor.  I paged my nurse and told her that I was in a lot of pain and my contractions were monitoring at 2 min apart.  

At 5 pm she checked me and BAM! 4 cm 70% effaced, cervix anterior and in active labor! FINALLY.  I cried because I was so happy I could get the epidural now.  She got me an IV ASAP and the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural.  Getting the epidural sucked because I was having painful contractions every 1-2 min and had to stay still while a huge needle was being stuck in my back.  But everything worked out no problem.  The epidural was AWESOME.  I was finally able to get in bed and just relax. Oh and watch the stanley cup playoff game lol.  

At 6pm, right after getting the epidural, my nurse checked me and I was 5 cm and 90% effaced.  She called my Dr. and he came down because he felt things were going to go fast.

At 8:30 pm I was 7 cm 90% effaced, my water broke, and baby was a 0 station.  My night nurse arrived, who is also a friend of ours, and she had me put one leg up on this peanut exercise ball thing and said it will help bring baby down.  

At 9:30 pm I was 9.5 cm 90% effaced, baby at +1 station

At 10:15 my dr. checked me because I was feeling a lot of pressure and the urge to push.  Sure enough it was time! 10 cm 100% effaced.  Time to push. I was terrified of the pushing part. With kaden I pushed for 3 hours, almost had to have a c-section, got an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear. Traumatic. 

I started pushing at 10:35 and at 11:07 pm, Wesley was born!!!  Wesley was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and I did have to have a midline episiotomy, ya know because my boys have big heads. lol Wesley was 8 lbs. 5 oz, 21.5 inches long, and his head was 13.5 cm.  Kaden was 8 lbs, 13 oz, 20 inches, & 13 cm head.  

This labor was so much easier and quicker compared to my first.  I was only in active labor for 7 hours and 35 min of pushing.  Hard to believe that was almost a week ago already.  This week has flown by.  Wesley had his circumsicion at 2 days old and its healed.  His umbilical cord fell of today already.  He weighed in at 8 lbs 7 oz at his Dr. apt on Wednesday which wasn't suprising because he is nursing like a champ!! I didn't think my heart had any room to love someone else as much as I love Kaden but somehow it does.  I can't stop looking at Wesley, I am going to enjoy every minute because I know how fast it went by with Kaden.  Having TWO handsome boys is the best.  I am spoiled with love by them and my husband.  

Last bump pic. 41 weeks.

Let's do this!!
He's here! 
Love at first sight.
Family of three becomes four!













Big bro meets little bro for the first time. 




So happy but so tired.




No comments:

Post a Comment